05 April 2009

A Favorite Weekend Come & Gone

The first weekends in April and October are easily my favorites of the year. I look forward to them every year, but it is always over too soon.

Originally we had two soccer games and one baseball game on the calendar for Saturday - but last Monday I started telling the kids to pray for snow on Saturday. Oh...the faith of my chillins is overwhelming : ) We got the snow we wanted - all three games canceled. I didn't even mind that I had to run the Emigration Canyon 10 Miler in the stuff.

It was a fun race and I actually found the snow blowing in my face somewhat mesmerizing, or at least distracting. The course is 2 1/2 miles of fairly serious incline followed by 7 1/2 miles of easy decline, though my IT band in the right leg would say otherwise. I haven't had iliotibial band problems for several years, but I pretty well limped my way through the last two miles. I'm either still wincing from the pain or expressing that I am too sexy for my neck gator.

We spent the rest of the morning and afternoon tucked in our cozy house watching conference with the kids. It was so great to not have to be anywhere or do anything other than listen and watch.
That evening Matt and Scout headed to Orem: Matt attend the Priesthood session with my dad and brother-in-law, Owen, and Scout to hang with the grandma.

The remaining kids and myself headed to our usual hangout during the Priesthood session.
Today we enjoyed another four hours of spiritual love fest. And I felt that same old sadness I felt even as a child when they sang, "God Be With You Till We Meet Again", at the close of the last session. Come and gone all too quickly.

5 comments:

Codi said...

Love the sexy faces that you and Isaac are making. Greta's hair is getting long!

rvasay said...

Looks like a great weekend, and it brought back lots of memories, some of them (ITB) not comfortable, but most of them full of pleasant nostalgia. I am glad that you are creating some great ones.
Dad

megship said...

Wow, Jen! I am seriously impressed with your running! I am also impressed by your kids sitting and watching. My kids didn't watch it for a second.

kathym said...

You are right, Jen, nothing compares to conference weekend twice a year. 'Heavenly'is the word I use. Thank heavens for bad weather on conference weekend.

Wow, Jen, you look great! Sorry about the leg pain. And thanks for hanging out with Grandma, Scout. It was so fun!
Love, Mom

Ashley Park said...

you are way braver than us! we were going to do the run but bailed from the weather..nice job!