18 March 2009

Uncle Shelby

Despite having been voted "Class Clown" in high school, I sometimes get intensely serious for long periods of time - it was worse when I drank : 0 . I had been living in one of those times for the past several weeks and I think my kids had just finally had enough of it. One night last week, perceptive little Isaac started recounting funny episodes from the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, trying to find one that would make his mom laugh. Finally, Ike grabbed the book and said, "Mom, just read this one part." It did the trick...I could not stop laughing.

Wimpy - Shel

You see, Shel Silverstein (or Uncle Shelby as he creepily referred to himself) was a revered icon in my house when I was growing up. My mom would have us memorize many, many of his poems. I'd bet that between my sisters and I we could recite Where the Sidewalk Ends in its entirety.
Watch this clip of him singing with Johnny Cash and you, too, will stay in your bed for fear of meeting Shel in the hallway.

7 comments:

rvasay said...

Jenny, You are right! He is kind of scary-----and his singing is not very soothing either! I love you MOM

Anonymous said...

Yeah well we read all those books too and guess what? He is super creepy! This only proves it further... but seriously. "Uncle Shelby" is not someone I would ever want around any of my kids. If I had them. Whatev. Diary of a Wimpy Kid is awesome! How could you not love him?

Natalie Scott said...

My boys LOVE Diary of a Wimpy kid. Like Calvin and Hobbes, Wynton refers to it often.

Shel is definitely creepy, but I hadn't realized it before. My kids love his books...I'll have to remind them to steer clear of creepy people like him!

Glad Isaac could help clear the gloom. :)

Chels said...

HAHAHA!!! I love this post. I love that Isaac knew you needed something, and I love that the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" talked about how scary Shel Silverstein is! I needed that Jen, thank you so much for posting it!

megship said...

Wow. Creepo. I also loved his books and now I will have nightmares. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Why did they let him sing on public television?

Kristin said...

I still can recite many of Shel's poems by heart; I love his poetry. But, goodness! What's with the scary "singing" voice? (Especially his little child voice.) Patrick & I laughed our heads off & loved the cartoon likeness from Isaac's book. Thanks for sharing!