10 August 2008

Olympic Favorites

Matt left for Argentina Friday morning and while he is carving some turns in Las Lenas...
(This is an actual shot of Las Lenas. Cool, huh?!)

...the kids and I are soaking up the Olympic spirit with endless TV time (an unheard of thing in our house, just ask the kids about BOB the TV timer). Saturday, I told the kids they could watch as much TV as they wanted as long as it was the Olympics.

And though they risked turning into Jimmy Jett and His T.V. Set , they loved watching all the fencing (nice sweep, U.S. women), swimming, rowing, and mens gymnastics (the cycling was not such a hit).

There are a few favorites I'm keeping my eye on during these Olympics. I love them because they are not young spring chickens, two of them are mothers, and they are determined, hard-working ladies.

Dara Torres

I want that kind of a Mama body. Hello!!! The woman is 41 years old and going for the gold again. I'm not convinced that she is totally clean, but still, she is one tough cookie who swam the last leg of the relay last night like a torpedo.

Elaine Youngs

I love that she is a johnny come lately to her sport. She was on the womens indoor volleyball team at age 30, switched to beach volleyball to compete in Athens at age 34 and is now, at 38 years old, competing with a partner almost 10 years younger. They are not the favorites to win (go Walsh & May-Treanor!), but I find her jumping ability at thirty-eight even more impressive than Torres' strength.

Melanie Roach

Is she cute or what? Melanie is 33 years old, a business woman (owns a gymnastics gym), a mother of three (one with autism), AND she is a Mo-lympian according to this site. Watch the feature story about her from the Today show last week.

And what an enchanting and amazing Opening Ceremonies. The kids and I kept speculating how long they had been rehearsing each piece. Communist conformity in motion looks pretty cool.

10 comments:

rvasay said...

Jenny I love that you have a blog and yes I would like that Mama's body or something sort of close to it! She is cute! thanks for keeping me up to date I love you MOM

Brigham said...

This is a great blog. I am glad that you are doing it.

Matt Asay said...

Hmm....Now I see what happens when I leave. I think the kids should have unlimited soccer-watching time. Olympics? They only have to run for 100 meters or so. In soccer they go for 90 minutes with none of those silly US-style "TV time outs." :-)

As for that first lady, Jen, please don't start popping 'roids. She looks a bit gross, like Marge Simpson in "Strong Arms of the Ma."

To help you avoid the temptation, I promise not to become buff, either.

Ashley Park said...

So gald you joined the circus of blogging! And I too have been sacked out in front of the TV watching the olympics... thank heavens for TiVo though. And Dara is my idol at 40. If i could just have one of her six pack abs i would be happy

Hansen Family said...

Hey Jenny! Matt was wondering if Mo-lympians can compete on Sundays?... ;-)

Good site my friend...!

Owen said...

Okay, have you seen the 33 year old gymnast from Germany? She is amazing and she return to gymnastics to pay for her sons cancer bills! I think I'm motivated find one sport that I could start playing and get good real fast so I can be in the Olympics. There has to be something real easy!

Owen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suzi said...

Yes, and the mom that is competing for Russia, since it's the country that gave her son life after leukemia... that is my favorite story so far. She's 33 or 34 and is tough as nails! Go moms!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have to add a little info on Melanie the Mo-lympian. She Is my niece Claire"s sister in law. At Claire's wedding Melanie wore sunglasses in the temple during the ceremony. Here's why, She not only had the bachelor party at her house the night before but around midnight she had given birth to her second child upstairs in her bedroom while the xbox bachelor party was still going on downstairs. The sunglasses covered her eyes where she had broken blood vessels . 8 hours after giving birth she was at the wedding in the temple sitting on a white chair. This is more amazing to me than lifting 300 lbs!